Whether you are contemplating your first festive vegan Christmas in 2021 or you are used to preparing plant-based yule-tide feasts, there is more choice than ever in our supermarkets this year. If you have fully embraced a vegan diet, then the challenge is not just in how to find alternatives to turkey, it is ensuring that everything is free of meat and dairy, including starters, condiments, puddings, drinks, and even the after-dinner mint. For those choosing a more DIY route, there is a vast range of plant-based recipes available to cover all of your needs throughout the Christmas period. But if you prefer a lazy Christmas day (and who could blame you?), you will not be disappointed at the selection of ready-prepared dishes and accompaniments available.
Finding alternatives to the traditional Christmas turkey
For many, Christmas just is not Christmas without a roast turkey on the table. This is especially problematic when some people at your table eat meat, and some do not. While you may decide to cover both options, you may be able to find one alternative which will satisfy everyone. One to consider is the M&S Plant Kitchen Vegan Turkey Rolled Roast, priced at £10. This is described as a “Juicy and succulent pea-based joint with a mushroom, cranberry and sage stuffing to create the perfect roast joint. Oven cooks in 55 minutes. Suitable for vegans. Serves 4”. From experience, Marks and Spencer are better than some other food retailers when it comes to creating vegan meat alternatives, so we have high hopes that this will be an excellent alternative to the traditional turkey.
Some other options to consider are the Sainsbury’s Plant Pioneers No Gammon with Maple Glaze at £5.50 and the Plant Pioneers No Turkey Parcels at £6.00. Most supermarkets also have nut roast options for those who don’t want to eat fake meats.
Our recommendation is to try a couple of options before the big day if you can, rather like a trial run. This will avoid a situation on Christmas day where you find yourself with something that is dry and tasteless that no one wants to eat.
Some of the best festive vegan products
Beyond the traditional Christmas dinner, you may want to find vegan alternatives for many of the other festive staples, such as chocolate, alcohol, cheese, and desserts. Some products you may wish to consider when planning your Christmas shop include:
- Wild-Arbor Cream Liqueur £21.25 – “rich and creamy, full of chocolate, vanilla and caramel flavour like a traditional Irish cream liqueur, but is unique in being totally clear and made from only plant-based, natural ingredients”
- Violife Festive Cheese selection £5.95 – includes “Epic Mature Cheddar Flavour + Mozzarella Flavour with Cranberries + Smoky Cheddar Flavour + Crumbly Greek White”
- Booja Booja Award-Winning Vegan Selection Box £10.00 – “Exquisite taste adventures created from simple, carefully chosen, organic ingredients. Contains Hazelnut Crunch, Almond Salted Caramel, Stem Ginger, Around Midnight Espresso & Rhubarb & Vanilla Fool Chocolate Truffles”
- M&S Vegan Melt in the Middle Chocolate Pudding £8.00 – “Deliciously soft coconut-based textured pudding with a hidden smooth Belgian dark chocolate sauce”
Vegan Offerings from Wellside Foods
We also have a range of vegan food that are ideal as cupboard and freezer stock, ready for a last-minute dinners or easy Twixmas lunches after the festive craziness.
- High-Protein Pure Pasta
- Organic Whole Wheat Macaroni
- Organic Whole Wheat Tagliatelle
- Organic Carrot Tagliatelle
- Organic Spelt Tagliatalle
- Organic Spinach Tagliatelle
- Organic Hemp Tagliatelle
As a Christmas gift from us to you, use code FIRSTORDER and get a massive £10 off your first order over £25.
The vast range of plant-based Christmas food products and recipes now makes it easier than ever to remain vegan throughout the festive period and get you ready for Veganuary. We wish you a very Merry Christmas!
Want more great news & offers from Wellside? Sign up to our newsletter